4.17.2011

Ichmanida and an Ambulance

Ichmanida? Ambulance? Well, let me get to those stories in just a second....

But first! On my blog profile it states that I am a wannabe chef. I do cook quite a bit and love trying new recipes. Although, the other day I was craving something rather odd... the cinnamon rolls from my 8th grade family and consumer sciences class. Luckily, I thought to bring the cookbook from that class to college with me :)


The recipe that I made was absolutely delicious! I made Cinnabon cinnamon rolls. I thought you might like to enjoy these delicious morsels as well, so here you go in picture recipe form!

"CINNABON” CINNAMON ROLLS

Makes about 12 rolls

Day 1
1 tablespoon yeast
1 cup warm milk (105-110 degrees)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
4 cups flour
 
In a large bowl mix the yeast and milk well until yeast is dissolved. (Milk can be warmed in a small bowl first using a microwave oven). Add sugar, melted butter, salt and eggs to the milk mixture and mix well. Using a wooden spoon, add the flour (1 cup at a time) and mix well.

On a lightly floured counter, knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Really work the dough as you can’t hurt it. It takes a lot of action to develop the gluten.

Let the dough rest for about 10 minutes covered with a clean towel. Place the dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
Day 2

1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F

Grease a jelly roll pan or 2 cookie sheets.



On a lightly floured counter, roll out the dough flat until it is approximately 20 inches long by 16 inches wide. It should be about 1/4 inch thick. Spread softened butter evenly over the surface of the dough.











In a medium size bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix well. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture evenly over the buttered surface. 









Working carefully from the bottom, roll the dough tightly up to the top edge.









Cut the rolled dough into 1 & 1/4 inch slices until you get 12 rolls.





Place 6 rolls evenly spaced on a lightly greased cookie sheet, or if using a jelly roll pan, place 12 at a time.















Bake for 15-20 minutes until or until lightly brown on top.
OPTIONAL ICING (which is really yummy!)

When the rolls come out of the oven, coat each generously with icing. Use ready made icing or make your own as follows:

In a medium-sized bowl, stir until well combined
8 tablespoons (1stick) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

AND last but not least, ENJOY! And don't forget to share with others!! :)

Now, back to the question of "what is Ichmanida?"

Well, as I ate these delicious cinnamon rolls a couple wonderful memories flowed back into my mind about my 8th grade family and consumer science class ("home ec" from now on).

The first was an epic plan my friends and I created to take over the world and become its supreme rulers. Yes, epic.

Sadly I don't remember the details of how we would come to be the rulers, but it probably had to do with taking charge after a huge nuclear war broke out. Although, once we were rulers we would do the following:

1. Amanda would become the President (I believe we had chosen Amanda).
2. We would rename the world "Ichmanida," which consisted of a compilation of all of the leaders' names (so basically our home ec group).
3. We would create a question mark army. Yes, an army made out of ?s.
4. I would serve as general of this army. Commanding its forces to keep the citizens in suppression.
5. We would do a lot of cool stuff and make a lot of wonderful laws, which sadly I cannot recall at this time.

Don't you think we had a great plan? :)

Another wonderful, and oh so hilarious (please don't hate me for saying that Amanda!) story is about Amanda leaving the school in an ambulance due to home ec...


What you see above is a dessert called Rugelach (or Rugalach). This is one of the recipes that we made in our home ec class.

It contains nuts. Amanda is allergic to nuts. She ate the Rugelach.

She was fine during home ec, but she didn't show up for lunch that day.

As my friends and I were sitting a the lunch table we saw a ambulance pull up to the school, and eventually a girl was hauled out on their stretcher... Amanda.

Of course Amanda wouldn't let the fact that she was an a stretcher, about to be put in an ambulance and then driven to the hospital, cause her to have a bad day. When she saw us at our lunch table staring at her she promptly sat up and waved at us. What a great moment. :)

I loved my friends from that class and from the sewing class that we took the next semester. I still have the cow pajama pants that I made! Thank you to everyone in that class for all the good times!

Also, I hope you enjoy the recipe! I love recipes and I feel so blessed to have them! Otherwise, I would probably never be able to make anything good besides the mixture of cereal and milk :)

4 comments:

  1. Haha! I love this. I MUST MAKE THESE...thank you for bringing this delicious treat into my world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not! Our world requires us not to eat such yummies (cholesterol and fat). Oh, well. They sure look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babba, nothing was said about letting the cinnamon rolls rise in the pan. Do you just put them in the pan and then directly into the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup! For some reason the rising done the day before and in the fridge does the job :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!

As always, feel free to post your blessings on here too!