1.28.2013

The Errand of Angels: Week 8--2 Months On My Mission--5 weeks in Florida


Hello Everyone!

Well, it was a great week! And super busy, but extremely awesome! I am so excited to be a part of the work of the Lord at this time when He is hastening His work!

FYI, six weeks are up and it is transfer time! No one in my district is getting transferred. I am excited to be with Sister Foster for another transfer because it means we get to work even harder! Yay!

My companion, Sister Foster is awesome! I appreciate her dedication to the work and her desire to be the best missionary possible (the missionary God wants her to be). I am also striving to fulfill the same goal/mission). I know with the two of us working with the Spirit and trying our best anything God wants to be done is possible. We are learning every day what more needs to be done and how we can improve.

For example, today we were reflecting about why we didn't achieve our goal of new investigators last week and why our finding at times seems a little off. We then realized we need to be more bold. Bold in our testimonies and knowledge that the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is for everyone. Earlier this week we had another question that was solved by our studying as well. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father answers our questions and pleas about how to be the best missionaries and how to reach out to as many of His children as possible. Taking time for studying daily is so important, and I had the opportunity to regain/strengthen my testimony of that this week.

My invitation to you this week is study the scriptures daily. Even if it is just reading one verse. Prayer before and after. Write down the inspiration that comes and how you feel. Record your feelings at the end of the week as well. I know that daily scripture study can be a strength to you and help you focus your life and feel more peace and happiness.

I am so grateful for this week. This week Sister Foster and I worked so hard and truly strove to be the best, to have no regrets. Two weeks ago we had 26 lessons and we both knew that more were possible. Our goal this last week was 30. The mission Standard of Excellence is 20. Heavenly Father helped us reach this goal. Last night we were blessed with our 30th lesson right before we had to go home for the night. One of our lessons fell through and we only had a couple minutes before we went home. We prayed and then knocked on two doors in the same complex. At the second door we were able to testify of some beautiful truths and then pray with her. Sadly, she did not want to visit again with us, but she did feel the power and will be open for the future I think. I do not know if every week will be like this because a lot of work can be done with seeing little success in the numbers, but I know as we continue to follow the Holy Ghost that we will be inspired on where to go, what to do, and what to say to best contribute to the missionary work in the area.

With the goal of such high numbers we are ensuring that the focus is on the people and where we need to be. I know that God truly lengthened our time because we were able to do attend the Sister's Training Conference, do some service, and even had lots of time for finding efforts, while getting in the lessons that needed to be there. I know that this was a blessing from God and that He gave us the strength and time to do it. If you put God first in your life (study, pray, strive to obedient), then God will bless you to allow everything else to fall into its proper place.

President Ezra Taft Benson: "When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives. Our love of the Lord will govern the claims for our affection, the demands on our... ...on our time, the interests we pursue, and the order of our priorities."

Last night I ended the week so grateful that I wanted to cry but so tired that I couldn't.

Side note, I suggest all future missionaries to memorize "Remember This" from Preach My Gospel (back page). Remember This is like a summary of Preach My Gospel and I love it! In our mission, we memorize it.

Anyways, the work is great. I had the opportunity to speak in church yesterday about faith, which was great timing for me because I needed a reminder, but also powerful for the ward. The three talks yesterday brought the Spirit really, really strong into Sacrament Meeting. Elder Woodard did an excellent job as well of listening to the Spirit. I learned by that experience that it is more important to testify than anything else and I am excited to implement that more in teaching.

Oh! And one of our investigators is getting baptized (13-year old)! His mother has given permission, his father has said its his choice to make, and he is very excited. He has lots of questions, but knows that what we have been teaching is true and that baptism is the step he needs to/wants to take. It was a beautiful end to our week last night. He is getting baptized February 16!! This boy was so excited about this decision. It was just a room full of very excited people. It was awesome.


I am humbled and grateful to be a missionary and I love the work!

I loved the message from President Summerhays this week and wanted to share part of it with you:

The Lord is very much involved in this work as he hastens it. I echo the words of Elder Holland when he testified that he did not know of a more exciting time to be a missionary. “There is an enthusiasm, an excitement, a zeal right now that is unlike anything I know of in recent years….I am fired up with heavenly and joyful anticipation”, he said.
He went on to say, “Because of the significance of the latter days, you have to be the best missionaries we’ve ever had, [you have to] because no task has ever been put before a missionary like the one were putting before you.” I add that the fact that you are here at this time is not an accident.
We continue to do better each and every week. Someone is not very happy about that fact so I desire to warn you once more of something that can destroy your motivation and effectiveness as a representative of Jesus Christ. The adversary is very crafty in his use of this very specific temptation. He makes this temptation look innocent. He can convince you that it is not evil. But, I repeat, giving in to this temptation will destroy your motivation and effectiveness as a representative of Jesus Christ. This destroyer of motivation and effectiveness is called, ‘distraction.’ A distraction is anything that diverts us from our purpose of finding, teaching, and baptizing those who the Lord has placed in our path. When you accepted your call, you made a covenant to “devote all your time and attention to serving the Lord, leaving behind all other personal affairs.” You have committed to serve Him with all of your “heart, mind, might and strength.” Your consecration of all of your heart, might, mind and strength insures that you will receive the promise of “more happiness than you have ever experienced.” So I ask if you are having ‘more happiness than you have ever experienced?” Could your attention be distracted from finding, teaching, baptizing and retaining? I loved this statement from a prior General Conference, “A distraction does not have to be evil to be effective.”The adversary knows that if he can distract you from your purpose, he can cause the Spirit to withdraw and you will wonder why you are not motivated and happy when you have done nothing evil. Remember, a distraction does not have to be evil to be effective. In April 2010, President Eyring said “we are to act in all diligence, never being slothful or lazy. The pattern is simple but not easy to follow. We are so easily distracted…sitting down to rest can be more attractive than making appointments to visit those in need of our service. When I find myself drawn away from my duties by other interests and when my body begs for rest, I give to myself this rallying cry: “Remember Him.” Sister and Elders I warn you to keep your thoughts, hearts and actions centered on Jesus Christ and your mission as His representative. Remember This: distraction will destroy your motivation, your effectiveness and your happiness as a missionary for your Savior Jesus Christ. Devote all your time, talents and attention to serving the Lord. I promise you as you do this: “more happiness than you have ever experienced.” Preach My Gospel First Presidency Message.    

Picture is of my District. They are awesome and a bit kooky.

Love you all!

Sister Jenkins


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!

As always, feel free to post your blessings on here too!