1.18.2011

"Come what may, and love it."


Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin is a smart man for taking his mother's inspired advice. He quotes in his talk that, "The way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life."* I truly believe this. When adversity faces us we can choose to learn from it or we can choose to complain about us. One will bring us closer to perfection and the other will make our life miserable.

The thought that I would like to share today is this, life is good if we make it good. Or in the words of Elder Wirthlin's mother, "come way may, and love it."

About a month ago I got in a car accident. Luckily this accident was only a fender-bender. I got rear-ended by a car who was going somewhere between 15-35 mph. My car did get banged up a little bit. Poor Gladys, as I have named my car, had some paint chipped off and sustained some scratches - who knows about the internal damage that was done I also got banged up a little. I have been having some heck pain and shoulder pain on my left side - classic whiplash symptoms. For quite a while after the accident I grumbled due to the time it took me to get the accident reported and all the claim information ironed out.

Why do I feel blessed from this situation?

After working with multiple claim officers I was finally able to take my car to get inspected mid-last week. The external damages would cost about $480 to fix. I had no complaints at the time because I was planning on that money hopefully going straight into my bank account instead of into my car. 

On Saturday morning last week I took my car in to get the oil changed a headlight replaced. The worker assigned to my car opened the hood and immediately saw a huge crack in my alternator (I guess I should open the hood of my car more often :). The cost to replace the alternator will be about $300. Again, I grumbled about this a little bit to myself and my parents. Thankfully I have wonderful parents who immediately humbled me.

The money I will get from the car accident will cover my time expenses as well as my new alternator :) I feel so blessed that I got in a car accident so that I have extra money available for this situation.

Also, I am very grateful that:

The other driver's car had insurance on it, and that my car had insurance on it. I switched my car insurance policy the day before I got rear-ended.

The car accident was not as bad as it could have been.

My car is still very drivable.

The worker on my car was able to find the crack before my car leaked fluid and killed the engine. I am especially very grateful for this.

All of these things are blessings, and I feel so blessed for the experience as a whole. (Even though I don't know if I would have complained much if I didn't get in the accident and if my alternator didn't get a crack ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!

As always, feel free to post your blessings on here too!