1.27.2011

Thank you hot chocolate man!

Tonight I had a very heartwarming experience.

I was at 711 filling up my car with gas and noticed a lonely looking man sitting outside of the front doors. He had a scruffy beard,was smoking a cigarette, coughing and was in a wheel chair. The weather outside was a chilly 25 degrees or so. I observed him as he sat and smoked. Finally he finished his smoking and went inside.

I decided that I wanted to help him in someway, so once I finished filling up my car I drove over to the doors and entered 711. I have never been a huge fan of hot chocolate that I don't make myself, just because hot chocolate can be very sugary and very caloric (I know, kind of a lame excuse), but I had decided I was going to buy some for myself and nonchalantly ask him if he wanted some as well. This worked.

At first he didn't talk to me, it appeared as he was trying to play mute (maybe he was just eating something), but he eventually warmed up to the idea. I convinced him of which type of hot chocolate to get and then I got in line with our cups. I talked to him a little asking him about his day - he said that he had lost his wallet. I like to think that people are honest until proven wrong, so poor guy.

The man in front of me in line finished paying and walked out the doors. When I got to the cash register to pay for the hot chocolates, the cashier told me that the man in front of me took care of it. This is what touched my heart about the evening the most, and why I have named this blog "Thank you hot chocolate man!"

This man's act of service was so quiet. I wanted to thank him, but he was already driving away by the time I got outside. Only three people, maybe four, knew of his kindness in that instance - himself, the cashier, me, and maybe the man who lost his wallet noticed. Maybe it seems silly to think that such a little thing means so much to me, but it does. It reminds me that the world is filled with good people.

Now that you have read this, go out and be a "hot chocolate man," or a "hot chocolate woman." :)

Again, thank you hot chocolate man. Service is contagious.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Babba, I just have to tell you that about a month ago there was a man working outside ringing a bell for Salvation Army in bitter cold with a wind. I had seem him earlier in the week when it was just "cold". This day he looked so cold and miserable I suggested to my husband that we buy him some hot chocolate at the Dunkin' Donut in the WalMart we were just entering. So, as I shopped my husband bought a big hot chocolate and took it out to him and put some bills in his kettle. When we came back out he looked a lot better, and I felt better thinking that he now looked warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your story! I sometimes ignore those people thinking I already give to charities, but that is a good story on how everyone could use a lift at some time in their life. I really appreciate you sharing that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!

As always, feel free to post your blessings on here too!